The world has around 199,533,484 websites, last checked January 2021.
How focused are you when it comes to staying ahead of your competitors? Regardless of the industry your company is in, it’s essential to understand who visits your website and the reasons why. Whether a company is B2B or B2C focused, its website is an information medium, lead generation tool, and contact interface for prospects and customers. Therefore, knowing your unknown website visitors, converting those visitors into prospects, and then converting those prospects into customers should be a major objective, and this is where web visitor intelligence comes into play.
Put simply, web visitor intelligence is the process of extracting rich business data about website visitors and then using those insights to deliver real-time personalization that helps enhance engagement and turns unknown visitors into customers. In order to get to this point though, it’s necessary to understand web visitor identification.
What Is Web Visitor Identification?
In most cases, lead generation (the act of finding people interested in your product/solution) is restricted to a call-to-action (CTA). To gain a prospect’s contact information, company websites should contain gated content for downloading purposes, which is how companies primarily gather information.
However, web visitor identification takes a different route. It leverages the digital footprints that were left by website visitors. These footprints are evaluated through identification and tracking tools to extract valuable information such as from Google Analytics and IP addresses. Overall, Google Analytics is an integral component of website visitor intelligence, and it provides these types of insights:
- Visitor source (the specific link through which the website visitor arrived)
- Location of the visitor
- Time spent on web pages
- Type of device used
Furthermore, every device with an internet connection has a unique IP address. This type of address enables data to be exchanged, and a web visitor or a subscriber to be identified. Private internet users are assigned a new IP address every time they visit a specific website, and it’s important to understand that website visitor identification differs from website visitor tracking. It goes beyond collecting anonymous information by identifying who the specific visitor is. As third-party cookies continue to become more obsolete and as GDPR regulations keep evolving, website visitor identification is gaining more attention as a best practice worth pursuing.
Major Reasons Why Website Visitor Intelligence Is a Top Secret Weapon
First-time buyers don’t usually purchase something immediately. According to this Marketo article, over 90 percent of first-time website visitors don’t provide their contact information or inquire about a product or service. This means that many brands end up dealing with the remaining 10 percent of users who signed up/subscribed to their website.
In general, a great deal of money has been spent on different ads with the goal of increasing the number of sign-ups/website subscribers. In doing this though, companies take the risk of neglecting 90 percent of users who could become customers. Fortunately, web visitor intelligence can be used as a secret weapon to turn a large percentage of website visitors into prospects.
Similarly, brands can leverage web visitor intelligence by following these three simple steps:
- Understand Analytics Better: This consists of the type(s) of content that out-perform other assets and which pages visitors are spending more time on. Not only is it important to consistently track various KPIs, but also to develop a better understanding of your website and its overall performance.
- Personalize Users’ Experiences: Brands can leverage data and insights in order to improve the overall website experience for visitors. Another option to pursue consists of creating customized content pieces for visitors on the basis of their business, revenue, and interests.
- Invest In Your Website: Companies can also leverage web visitor intelligence by putting more money into creating valuable assets like white papers and ebooks in addition to building incredible landing pages with top-notch UX/UI. Another option is to create content for every stage of the marketing funnel. However, it’s important to focus on making customer journeys so interesting and compelling that it becomes extremely difficult for visitors to leave.
Ultimately, when you understand who is visiting your website, it’s more simple to determine the specific reasons why you need to target them. Moving forward, do you plan to put more focus on website visitors rather than the visits themselves?